Sky-Tec Flyweight™ Starters for Continental aircraft engines feature superior design features over old, heavy, stock OEM starters including: Durable, reliable design; All-in-one bolt-off/bolt-on installation; Eliminates continuous duty clutch on smaller series engines; Positive disengagement eliminates wear while your engine is running; Significant torque increase/multiple gear reduction; Decreased current draw
Safe for ALL TCM starter adapters! ST5 series starters offer the following features:
How is the ST5 starter different?
- Powerful 2.2 kW high-torque, permanent magnet motor
- Faster cranking RPM - typically 10-25% faster than heavyweight starters.
- Light weight (9.4 lbs!);
- Proven gear reduction drive train tempers current draw;
- TCM starter adapter friendly electromechanically engaged/disengaged drive system provides instantaneous release of the starter adaptor wrap spring virtually eliminating starter-induced adapter wear.
- Approved and recommended for ALL starter adaptors ("classic style", "improved style", "permold", "sand cast", etc.)
- A simple, easy-to-install, bolt-off/bolt-on, maintenance-free starter that fits the entire "large" series Continental engines (with right-angle starter adapters) from O-300-D through TSIO-550 engines
- Attractively designed and affordably produced making it the first and only choice in lightweight large Teledyne Continental engine starters.
The ST5 starter couples a high power 2.2 kW motor with an innovative solenoid-engaged (and disengaged) drive system completely disengages the powerful permanent magnet motor while the starter is unpowered eliminating possible TCM starter adapter wear while providing authoritative, high-torque starting. Positive solenoid enabled engagement and disengagement allows the TCM starter adapter to fully unwrap under all normal operating conditions thus greatly prolonging starter adapter life.How do I know which one to buy?
If your TCM engine has a right-angle starter adaptor at the rear of the engine and a clean source of nearby located battery voltage, chances are this starter is the right one for your application. Consult their extensive aircraft fit guide just to be sure. Available on the Skytec website.
Please note this starter is not warrantied against kickback.